Re: How to use dmsetuup?

On 11/4/23 09:45, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 07:46:09AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

I'v got to the above point but the first example that looked good created a
100% allocated, no free space "homevol"
So I used gparted to delete the partitions & reformat them to ext4 again,
pvcreated them again an vgcreateded it again, getting:

Sorry, Gene -- I fear you have it backwards. The LVM stuff happens *below*
the file system: you first add physical volumes (PV) to a volume group
(think a "pool"). From that you "cut out" logical volumes (LV), which
are just bunches of blocks which show themselves to the OS as "block
devices" (/dev/mapper/foo, typically).

On top of that you can put a file system (as you can on any "bunch of blocks",
i.e. a block device or file).

Perhaps having a mental model the docs make more sense.

Cheers

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis