Re: How to use dmsetuup?

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 01:20:08PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Indeed it does clarify the mechanics. thank you. Now do I have to
> > zero them first before I can then create (pvcreate) them,
>
> Not necessarily. Unless, of course, there are sensitive data on them.
>
> The process would go roughly:

I agree with what Tomas has said, but I would add a step before
creating the PVs.

    # partition your devices
    I usually put a small partition at the start of the disk and
    another small one at the end (these are protection against some
    kind of errors that can occur - you just leave them blank) and then
    create a single large partition using the rest of the space on the
    device for use by LVM.

    There doesn't seem much point in having more than one LVM partition
    on a device to me (as suggested below)?