Version matching in kernel source and patch source?

I'd like to try to compile my own kernel, using the realtime patch set. At kernel.org, I see that the 6.6 kernel source is 6.6, but the 6.6 realtime patch set is 6.6-rt12. Does that matter, or is it enough that both are given as 6.6? Similarly, if I see that the 6.5 series is at 6.5.10 for the kernel source at kernel.org, and the patch set is 6.5.2-rt8, is that an issue, or do I always need to use patches which match the version numbering completely? Thanks!

Scott Denlinger