Re: upgrade from bullseye to bookworm strangely fails

On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 04:46:25AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> Hi.  So, I am trying to upgrade a server I have in the cloud from
> bullseye to bookworm and it fails with the following message:
> Setting up libgcc-s1:amd64 (12.2.0-14) ...
> Setting up libc6:amd64 (2.36-9+deb12u3) ...
> /usr/bin/perl: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypt.so.1:
> dpkg: error processing package libc6:amd64 (--configure):
>  installed libc6:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess
>  returned error exit status 127
>  Errors were encountered while processing:
>   libc6:amd64
>   E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> So, I tried apt --fix-broken install but no joy. I got:

I don't have a magic pill for you.  But I have a few comments:

1) Turn off autoindent when pasting multi-line text into your email.
   If you're in vim, you can do that with ":set paste" or ":set noai".

2) You didn't tell us what command you ran that failed.  Was that error
   during the "apt-get upgrade" phase, or the "apt-get dist-upgrade"
   phase?  Did you even follow the directions?  We have no idea.

3) libcrypt.so.1 is in the libcrypt1 package.  If that's gone missing,
   you might want to try installing it directly.  If that doesn't work,
   maybe extract it by hand (using dpkg -x in some temp directory),
   and move the shared library to where it needs to be.

unicorn:~$ dpkg -L libcrypt1:amd64
/.
/lib
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcrypt.so.1.1.0
[...]

So, move the shared library file from the temp directory to that place,
run /sbin/ldconfig (to generate the libcrypt.so.1 symlink) and pray.