Re: Mailutils+nullmailer: sender full name

On Fri 20 Oct 2023 at 11:51:35 (+0200), Gertjan Klein wrote:
> Op 20-10-2023 om 05:10 schreef David Wright:
> > On Thu 19 Oct 2023 at 13:30:53 (+0200), Gertjan Klein wrote:
> > > I don't intend to send mail from this machine myself, I want mail from
> > > the system (e.g. unattended-upgrades) delivered to my personal
> > > mailbox.
> >
> > I wouldn't expect /then/ to see my name, or likely anything at all
> > from /etc/passwd. Rather, I would expect system programs to set their
> > own From: address, either read from configuration file or hard-wired
> > into the program itself
>
> I wouldn't expect my gklein changes to be used by system mails either.
> Just for fun, I did try to configure .mailrc for root, but that made
> no difference (at least for unattended-upgrades). But the default
> root@ address, with or without a name, is fine with me. I did have to
> add a root@ mail alias in my provider settings though, otherwise it
> rejects the system mail.

That may depend on what the Envelope-from address is, and the policy
of your provider. As you might be able to observe, I use my ISP
account for Envelope-from and authentication, and that account has
no relation to accounts on my machine or my email hosting service.
Such considerations may be the target of the header-rewriting
facilities in nullmailer, exim, etc.

> > It would be interesting to know whether the correct addresses were
> > being generated by /system/ emails when you were still using
> > mailutils; and whether they are, now that you're using bsd-mailx.
>
> II did not receive system emails when I was still using mailutils. I
> reconfigured unattended-upgrades to always send mail, and forced a
> run:
>
> $ sudo unattended-upgrade -d
>
> This gets me a mail with From being just "root@parvos.nl". I don't
> really mind.

It's possible that the From: address could be different for each of
the three or four cases: a manual run (as above), by cron, anacron,
or by a systemd service.

Cheers,
David.