Re: Mailutils+nullmailer: sender full name

On Thu 19 Oct 2023 at 13:30:53 (+0200), Gertjan Klein wrote:
> Op 18-10-2023 om 18:30 schreef David Wright:
> > On Tue 17 Oct 2023 at 19:41:43 (+0200), Gertjan Klein wrote:
> > > gklein@parvos:~$ cat /etc/passwd | grep gklein
> > > gklein:x:1000:1000:Gertjan Klein,,,:/home/gklein:/bin/bash
> >
> > On my (bullseye) system, that field is what is used to get my full
> > name.
>
> It's what I'd expect to be used, unless configured otherwise.

Yes, in emails that you and I send. (Both our tests were carried out
from our bash prompts.)

> > (Note that I don't personally send mail this way—I use mutt, of course.)

And I should add that my From: address is a function of several
factors, like who I'm replying to, which mailbox I'm reading,
and so on.

> I don't intend to send mail from this machine myself, I want mail from
> the system (e.g. unattended-upgrades) delivered to my personal
> mailbox.

I wouldn't expect /then/ to see my name, or likely anything at all
from /etc/passwd. Rather, I would expect system programs to set their
own From: address, either read from configuration file or hard-wired
into the program itself, as in for example (bullseye):

  $ strings /usr/sbin/cron | grep -A17 'Cron Daemon'
  $ strings /usr/sbin/anacron | grep -B5 -A4 'Anacron <'

which displays the origin of their From: lines as I receive them.

It would be interesting to know whether the correct addresses were
being generated by /system/ emails when you were still using
mailutils; and whether they are, now that you're using bsd-mailx.
I've never used unattended upgrades. I have unattended updates and
downloads, but they're my own creations, initiated by root's crontab,
so those emails come from Cron Daemon.

Cheers,
David.