Re: usrmerge in bookworm

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 04:42:56PM +0200, Urs Thuermann wrote:
> Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org> writes:
>
> > Yeah, usrmerge is a bit wonky in these early stages.
>
>     $ apt-get changelog usrmerge | tail -n2
>      -- Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>  Tue, 04 Nov 2014 22:42:44 +0100
>     Fetched 11.0 kB in 0s (58.9 kB/s)
>
> Not what I'd call 'early' stages.

It is for Debian, when the maintainer of dpkg is strongly opposed
to, and refuses to co-operate with, anything related to usrmerge.

It got done years ago in Ubuntu, and their dpkg doesn't have this
issue, as they've carried patches for that for all those years.

Though Debian has a much more diverse set of packages and user base
and real issues HAVE been found in usrmerge so it's not a
no-brainer, it's just that we would have gone through it and out the
other side by now.

Thanks,
Andy