usrmerge in bookworm

I have upgraded from bullseye to bookworm and it seems the package usrmerge is installed forcedly now.  At least it has been installed and I haven't been asked about it :-(

I have always been sceptical about /usr merge, since all binaries now appear in two places, "type sh" in bash gives the strange looking /usr/bin/sh where all Uni*ers are strongly used to /bin/sh.  But also things like the following don't work anymore:

    $ dpkg -S $(type -p sh)
    dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/sh

And I don't see a comfortable way around this.

Steve