Re: Debian will not boot any more, wrong UUID

On 2023-10-01 at 15:36, Hans wrote:

> Hi the Wanderer,

>>> Second: The setting of AHCI has disappeared, so I can not change
>>> the settings in BIOS. And: the BIOS can not be reflashed!
>>
>> Please describe exactly what you have done to try to downgrade the
>> UEFI (which isn't a BIOS, as I understand the definitions of those
>> terms, but may sometimes be called one).
>
> In short; I tried (as most people tell): Starting windows in secure
> mode, then boot into the BIOS and there set from RAID to AHCI,
> afterwards start windows as normal.
>
> This setting in BIOS was existent some time ago, but now it is
> complete gone (this point is completele disappeared!)!!  I know that
> it is in RAID, because Windows told so: BUS form = RAID.

I apologize; it seems I was not sufficiently clear.

By "downgrade the UEFI" I meant "revert the installed UEFI to an older
version" - what you were attempting to do by "reflash"ing the "BIOS".

I was looking for a response like "double-clicked the EXE which I got
from [place] and followed the prompts, selecting [option] when given a
choice" or "ran the EXE which I got from [place] from the command line,
using [list of command-line parameters]".

If you did it via a graphical interface, and ran into a no-downgrade
wall, it may well be worth looking at the documentation which is
probably available along with the download; it may provide a
command-line version of the process, which might support parameters to
tell the tool to allow the downgrade to occur.

(Downgrading is suboptimal, but would be one way to address the
proximate issue.)

>> If you can get the "AHCI" option back, then that is almost
>> certainly going to be the simplest way to fix the problem (or at
>> least to move on to the next stage of the problem, which would
>> probably be more tractable).
>>
>> If you can't, then the solution is likely to require getting a
>> compatible driver in the Linux environment (whether live or
>> otherwise) that you're using to try to access the system. The
>> details of *that* are not something that I have sufficient
>> experience with to want to try to advise someone on at a distance.
>
> Yes. I am wondering, why the debian installer DVD does not see the
> nvme- device. When I installed Debian_11 a year ago, it did see the
> drive. Of course I tried with this DVD again to reinstall, but today
> it does not see the drive any more (I suppose because of RAID).

My first suspicion would be that the installer environment does not
include - or, at least, is not loading - the necessary drivers for some
portion of the stack which is in use when the "RAID" option is enabled.

>> (If you're unlucky, there may not *be* any such driver for that
>> model, or at least not one you can get your hands on. In which
>> case, barring the downgrade-the-firmware angle, you'd probably be
>> out of luck.)
>
> I guess I am unlucky..... :)

I don't think we've reached the stage of concluding that there is no
such Linux driver, at least not yet.

What steps have you taken to try to identify the device for which a
driver is needed?

A 'lspci' verbose report, from one of the live environments where the
NVMe device does not appear, might be helpful as a starting point in
doing that. I'd probably start with 'lspcn -nnn', and look in the output
for either anything which mentions "NVM" or "nvm", or any unidentified
devices.

> Thanks for the help.

You're quite welcome.

--