Re: memtest86

>>> latest version is 10.6, get it at:
>>> <https://www.memtest86.com/download.html>
> This, Stefan, looks exactly like the memtest86 we've all been using for
> nearly 30 years.

"we"?  I sure haven't run that one, ever.  I've run memtest86+ many
times, yes, that's the one that "look like the old familiar one" for me
(and presumably for others who stay away from proprietary code :)

> Possibly under new management, and you may not agree with
> the pro version costing money,

The problem is not the money but the impossibility to know what it is
you're running because you can't see the source code.

> If you think the peanuts are free, check the price of the beer.

Have you ever heard of Free Software (or maybe "open source")?  :-)

> And with all the caveats discussed in the faq list, I'll be a bit
> spooky. Like running it w/o a net cable so it can't call home.

Of course the `.com` version won't push all its own caveats in your
face, that would go against its own commercial interests.

That's another advantage of Free Software: it doesn't have a commercial
incentive to hide its limitations in order to trick you into choosing
over some competitor.  IOW Free Software encourages honesty.

BTW, you can also run a memory tester from the comfort of a running
Debian machine, using the `memtester` package.  Clearly it won't be able
to check *all* the memory of your machine (e.g. it can't access the
memory used by the kernel), but I've anecdotally found it "good enough"
(the two times memtest86+ found a problem in one of my machines,
`memtester` also found a problem on that machine).

        Stefan