Re: memtest86

On 9/14/23 22:17, Stefan Monnier wrote:
latest version is 10.6, get it at:
<https://www.memtest86.com/download.html>

This, Stefan, looks exactly like the memtest86 we've all been using for nearly 30 years. Possibly under new management, and you may not agree with the pro version costing money, but TANSTAAFL is a universal law. Somebody has to pay the bills. If you think the peanuts are free, check the price of the beer.

Freeware!  Eww!

I recommend https://www.memtest.org/ instead (admittedly, until a year
or two ago, this Free Software was severely outdated and didn't really
work with UEFI, but things have picked up again since).

I've pulled this on down too, but the previews don't quite look like the old familiar one I found above. And with all the caveats discussed in the faq list, I'll be a bit spooky. Like running it w/o a net cable so it can't call home.

But I'll burn the 64 bit grub iso to a dvd and try it. I have had several "use the back panel power switch" to recover from lockups since being forced to upgrade to bookworm by something wiping my passwd during a bullseye update. bookworm does NOT like my raid10 /home, taking from 30 secs to 5 minutes to open the file requestor just to save this download. Perhaps this one can tell me something the v9.4 I got from my link didn't. Lockups that are strange, the mouse pointer still moves normally, but clicks are ignored and so is the keyboard. The cute analog clock is frozen, as is the rest of the gkrellm display.

         Stefan
Take care and stay well..

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)