Re: using ddrescue on the root partition - boot with / as read-only

On 9/13/23 04:54, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
Hi,

I need to use ddrescue on the root partition of my laptop.

So I need to have the root partition mounted in read-only mode.
How can I do that?

Note that "mount -o remount,ro /" gives an error "mount point is busy"
apparently because various log files are open in write mode.

Using the recovery mode via GRUB (which mounts / in read-only mode)
is useless because the system remounts it later as rw.

Or is there a way to force a remount in read-only mode?
(I could probably trigger a disk error to make the kernel remount /
as read-only, but well...)

What symptom(s) is your laptop exhibiting that make you think that you need to use ddrescue(1) on the root partition?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

Have you read the "GNU ddrescue Manual"?

https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/manual/ddrescue_manual.html

David