Re: Components of the computer

On 9/3/23 22:35, Marco wrote:
Am 03.09.2023 um 21:40:11 Uhr schrieb William Torrez Corea:

My battery and Optical disc drive is bad:
How can I recover these devices?

You need to buy a new accumulator ("battery") for your machine.

+1

Beware of laptop batteries that have been in storage for a long period -- the electrochemistry changes and their ability to hold a charge degrades (eventually to zero).

I recommend looking for a new, recently manufactured, aftermarket battery that is the recommended replacement for your specific laptop.

When the optical drive cannot read CDs anymore, try to clean the lens.
If that doesn't work, replace it. Notebook optical drives are
standardized, only the cover is different. Unmount the front cover from
your current optical drive and mount it to the new one.

-1

I have found that slim type optical drives in laptops are not interchangeable -- the physical configuration between the drive, the front bezel, the front quick-change latch, etc., is specific to that combination.

I recommend buying an exact replacement optical drive assembly -- drive, bezel, latch, whatever. Ensure that the laptop manufacturer part number matches (e.g. Dell Part Number; the optical drive manufacturer part number may or may not match). I typically buy used parts, test them on arrival, and rely upon the eBay DOA return/ refund policy for bad parts.

That said, I have found that optical drives do not last very long; especially slim type. Several years ago, I bought a LITE-ON "Premium" DVD-RW drive that is advertised for heavy use (e.g. CD/DVD replication). I put it into an external eSATA/USB enclosure. So far, so good. An external optical drive is especially useful for installing operating systems on computers without optical drives -- so that the installation target drive is assigned device node "sda" during installation.

David