Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

On Sat, 2023-09-02 at 23:57 +0200, Linux-Fan wrote:
> Michael Kjörling writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > The biggest issue for me is ensuring that I am not dependent on
> > _anything_ on the backed-up system itself to start restoring that
> > system from a backup. In other words, enabling bare-metal
> > restoration.
> > I figure that I can always download a Debian live ISO, put that on
> > USB stick, set up an environment to access the (encrypted) backup
> > drive, set up partitions on new disks, and start copying; if I were
> > using backup software that uses some kind of custom format, that
> > would
> > include keeping a copy of an installation package of that and
> > whatever
> > else it needs for installing and running within a particular
> > distribution version, and making sure to specifically test that,
> > ideally without Internet access, so that I can get to the point of
> > starting to copy things back. (I figure that the boot loader is the
> > easy part to all this.)
>
> [...]
>
> My personal way to approach this is as follows:
>
>  * I identify the material needed to restore.
>    It consists of
>
>     - the backup itself
>     - suitable Linux OS to run a restore process on
>     - the backup software
>     - the backup key
>     - a password to decrypt the backup key
>
>  * I create a live DVD (using `live-build`) containing
>    the Linux OS (including GUI, gparted and debian-installer!),
>    backup software (readily installed inside the live system),
>    backup key (as an encrypted file) but not the password nor
>    the backup itself.
>
>    Instead I decided to add:
>
>    - a copy of an SSH identity I can use to access a
>      read-only copy of the backup through my server and
>    - a copy of the encrypted password manager database
>      in case I forgot the backup password but not the
>      password manager password and also in case I would
>      be stuck with the Live DVD but not a copy of the
>      password such that I could use one of the password
>      manager passwords to access an online copy of the
>      backup.
>
>  * When I still used physical media in my backup strategy
>    these were external SSDs (not ideal in terms of data
>    retention, I know). I partitioned them and made them
>    able to boot the customized live system (through syslinux).
>
>    If you took such a drive and a PC of matching architecture
>    (say: amd64) then everything was in place to restore from
>    that drive (except for the password...). The resulting Debian
>    would probably be one release behind (because I rarely updated
>    the live image on the drive) but the data would be as up to
>    date as the contained backup. The assumtion here was that one
>    would be permitted to boot a custom OS off the drive or have
>    access to a Linux that could read it because I formatted the
>    “data” part with ext4 which is not natively readable on
>    Windows.

> [...]
I have also been trying UpenMediaVault and it's an overkill for me.

I have a Dell R320 fitted with 8 1T SAS drives, the hardware raid is
turned off as OpenMediaVault uses sorfware RAID.

If I turn the hardware raid on can I use Debian as the opperating
system?

Thank you for any help,

David.