Re: I uninstalled OpenMediaVault (because totally overkill for me) and replaced it with borgbackup and rsyncq

Michael Kjörling writes:

[...]

The biggest issue for me is ensuring that I am not dependent on
_anything_ on the backed-up system itself to start restoring that
system from a backup. In other words, enabling bare-metal restoration.
I figure that I can always download a Debian live ISO, put that on a
USB stick, set up an environment to access the (encrypted) backup
drive, set up partitions on new disks, and start copying; if I were
using backup software that uses some kind of custom format, that would
include keeping a copy of an installation package of that and whatever
else it needs for installing and running within a particular
distribution version, and making sure to specifically test that,
ideally without Internet access, so that I can get to the point of
starting to copy things back. (I figure that the boot loader is the
easy part to all this.)

[...]

My personal way to approach this is as follows:

* I identify the material needed to restore.
  It consists of

   - the backup itself
   - suitable Linux OS to run a restore process on
   - the backup software
   - the backup key
   - a password to decrypt the backup key

* I create a live DVD (using `live-build`) containing
  the Linux OS (including GUI, gparted and debian-installer!),
  backup software (readily installed inside the live system),
  backup key (as an encrypted file) but not the password nor
  the backup itself.

  Instead I decided to add:

  - a copy of an SSH identity I can use to access a
    read-only copy of the backup through my server and
  - a copy of the encrypted password manager database
    in case I forgot the backup password but not the
    password manager password and also in case I would
    be stuck with the Live DVD but not a copy of the
    password such that I could use one of the password
    manager passwords to access an online copy of the
    backup.

* When I still used physical media in my backup strategy
  these were external SSDs (not ideal in terms of data
  retention, I know). I partitioned them and made them
  able to boot the customized live system (through syslinux).

  If you took such a drive and a PC of matching architecture
  (say: amd64) then everything was in place to restore from
  that drive (except for the password...). The resulting Debian
  would probably be one release behind (because I rarely updated
  the live image on the drive) but the data would be as up to
  date as the contained backup. The assumtion here was that one
  would be permitted to boot a custom OS off the drive or have
  access to a Linux that could read it because I formatted the
  “data” part with ext4 which is not natively readable on
  Windows.

In addition to that, each copy of my backups includes a copy of the backup program executable (a JAR file and a statically compiled Rust program in my case) and some Windows exe files that could be used to restore the backup on Windows machines in event of being stuck with a copy of the backup “only”.

While this scheme is pretty strong in theory, I update and test it far too rarely since it is not really easy to script the process, but at least I tested the correct working of the backup restore after creation of the live image by starting the restore from inside a VM.

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö