Re: bookworm and network connections

On 2023-09-01 at 16:50, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 08:32:40PM +0000, Michael Kjörling wrote:
>
>> I don't think /etc/rc.local is executed by default on modern Debian
>> systems. Have you checked to make sure that rc-local.service is
>> enabled and actually gets started during boot? Is there anything
>> relevant in the logs for that? Is /etc/rc.local set as executable?
>
> The rc-local.service is enabled by default.  It will execute /etc/rc.local
> if it exists and is executable.
>
> The Debian installer used to create a stub /etc/rc.local file which had
> a correct shell script shebang, and the necessary permissions.  This is
> longer created during installation, so the user would need to create
> it themselves, if they want to have it.  They'd also have to know enough
> to put a correct shebang on it, and to do chmod +x.  That's not a huge
> barrier to entry, but it's just enough to confuse some people.

It's actually still available, although I expect you're right that in a
default configuration it won't be installed during Debian installation:

$ dlocate /etc/rc.local
initscripts: /etc/rc.local
$ apt-cache policy initscripts
initscripts:
  Installed: 3.07-1
  Candidate: 3.07-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.07-1 900
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
$ cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.

if test -d /etc/boot.d ; then
        run-parts /etc/boot.d
fi

This is in an environment that's running sysvinit, not systemd;
'sysvinit-core' currently depends on the 'initscripts' package. I'm not
in a position to tell whether there would be issues trying to install
'initscripts' in a systemd environment, but I just offhand wouldn't
particularly expect there to be.

--
   The Wanderer