Re: bookworm and network connections

On Fri, Sep 01, 2023 at 08:32:40PM +0000, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> I don't think /etc/rc.local is executed by default on modern Debian
> systems. Have you checked to make sure that rc-local.service is
> enabled and actually gets started during boot? Is there anything
> relevant in the logs for that? Is /etc/rc.local set as executable?

The rc-local.service is enabled by default.  It will execute /etc/rc.local
if it exists and is executable.

The Debian installer used to create a stub /etc/rc.local file which had
a correct shell script shebang, and the necessary permissions.  This is
longer created during installation, so the user would need to create
it themselves, if they want to have it.  They'd also have to know enough
to put a correct shebang on it, and to do chmod +x.  That's not a huge
barrier to entry, but it's just enough to confuse some people.

Double-checking "systemctl status rc-local.service" certainly wouldn't
hurt, just to make sure everything's working as desired.