Re: Virtualization under Bookworm

Op 26-08-2023 om 18:40 schreef Carl Fink:
Hi,

I have a project that I'd like to work on in a virtual machine hosted on my Bookworm system. In the old days (5-10 years ago) I used VirtualBox, just from inertia. I haven't really virtualized since then.

What's the current recommendation for someone who just wants to create a one-off VM to run Debian under Debian? As this is not my job or even main hobby, ideally it should have setup at least as easy as VirtualBox was back in the day.

System is an ASUS ExpertCenter PN52 (Ryzen 7 6800, 32 GB of RAM, 2 terabyte SSD).

I can advice virt-manager, it is like Virtualbox was, but the modules are allready in the kernel so don't have to be compiled like with Virtualbox. And virt-manager is in Debian, Virtualbox is not in Debian so far I know.

Some advices:
You have to add yourself to the group libvirt, something like:
adduser carl libvirt

And it's important to start the virtual network by default:
virsh net-autostart default

To start a virtual machine in one click so without starting virt-manager first I make a script like this:
----
#!/bin/bash
sudo /usr/bin/virsh start win11
virt-manager --connect qemu:///system --show-domain-console "win11"
----

It seems to be faster when you use another driver for your virtual disk. There are many manuals for setting it up. It's not really difficult.

With regards,
Paul

https://vandervlis.nl