Re: Was: setting up network q, now no x

On 8/12/23 19:07, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 06:37:30PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
I need X running so I can use firefox to go get and build the rest of the
software I am building this thing to run.

Then why on earth are you installing a full Desktop Environment?

If you need to use Firefox to obtain files and then compile them, then
what you need are xorg, firefox-esr, build-essential, and some kind of
simple window manager.  twm would suffice, or fvwm, or whatever you're
comfortable with.  Hell, in theory you could skip the window manager and
just run "startx firefox" or something.  You'd be limited to a single
browser window, but that's not a crippling limitation.

Today I'll copy off the net changes, rewrite its sd card with the iso and restore the net changes b4 putting the sd card back in the bpi. From there I'll install ff, nginx, build-essential, + dhelper maybe and see if that pulls in what it needs thru those deps. Unless you know an even better way. build-essential will likely be needed for kiauh.

Or, as an alternative, you could obtain the files from another machine,
and copy them over.  Then you only need build-essential, and NONE of the
rest.

This kit of utils to run a printer is far superior to octoprint, installed and maintained by kiauh, needs a full time X and FF to control the printer. It a 2-way web server using nginx to run the printer and display it. From that install, I can watch the printer and control it, from anyplace on my local net. The default browser armbian uses is chromium, but chromium has hijacked port 80 for google adv bs so chromium doesn't work but FF.esr does. https to 8080 works, http to 80 doesn't. Googles hunger for your data knows no limits. We need another Judge Green.

(For a given value of "build", of course.  You may need other development
tools beyond build-essential, but we can't advise you on that without more
information.)

Maybe this helps...

I would absolutely NOT install GNOME unless you need it for something
more than just launching a web browser.

.
Pulling in nearly 800 pkgs triple underscores that point.
synaptic must also run.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)