setting up network with a hosts file, but your way

I am bringing up a new bananapi-m5, an arm64 device. You don't like my way, and have made that boringly plain.

It is booted to a text screen as root, first boot.

Already edited the /etc/hostname, and /etc/hosts files. The next thing from what I see, is a total lack of a route address which s/b 192.168.71.1. First run made me set both pw's, but never ran N-M.

ipv6:
There is no ipv6 service within 100 miles, so I should set a /proc command to kill ipv6, so whats the official syntax? for that.

ipv4:
ip a returns both interfaces data, local looks legit, shows both addresses but no ipv4 is listed in the eth0 section. ipv6 is all bogus, all commented out in the hosts file.

hosts file resolution works, showing the correct ipv4 addresses
when I try to ping one of those other local machines.

ip r returns a null.

networkctl reports neither interface is managed.
systemd-networkd says its not installed, suggesting using apt to install it, but w/o a net, how?

Network-Manager is not present in /bin.

So what is the next step?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.