Re: logging no longer standard?

On Mon, Aug 07, 2023 at 05:32:03PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

[...]

> Ohhhkaaay, but why then do I get a message if looking at the journal as user
> 1000, that the user must be a member of the adm group to see all the log,

...unless you use sudo.

> AND adding me to the adm group doesn't change what I can see using sudo?  I

As sudo you can see *all* (I don't know a lot about systemd's journal, but

I do some sysadmin for food, and the boxes at work do systemd, so the basic
knowledge is there. And the above belongs to the basic knowledge.

Now let's be scientific: what evidence makes you assume that there's anything
in the logs you are not shown?

> see gigabytes of stuff from kwin etc, but nary a syllable from what isn't
> working because something blocks it.

Perhaps "what isn't working" isn't logging to the syslogs at all? (this
hunch has come up elsewhere in this thread). Another possibility: it is
in the logs, but hidden under so much stuff that you don't see it.

See, if you "do" AppImages you are multiplying your system's complexity.
Each AppImage is like a little operating system (without the kernel) where
the application provider dictates the rules, not Debian (that's why I
avoid them like the plague).

Cheers