Re: Debian 12: Failure to build ALPS kernel module

Salut Didier!

didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> writes:

> Le 04/08/2023 à 11:44, Loris Bennett a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I have a 10 year-old Dell E6230 laptop which I have updated
>> regularly,
>> starting from Squeeze and have now updated to Bookworm.  Everything
>> seems to work except for the fact that a module fails to build for the
>> new kernel:
>>    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel:
>> 6.1.0-10-amd64 (x86_64)
>>    Consult /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/alps-1.3/build/make.log for more information.
> [...]
>
> Hello,
>
> I would say that in a distant past one needed to build this driver
> from external sources but nowadays it is included in the linux kernel
> source tree?
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/v6.1/drivers/input/mouse/alps.c
>
> and it seems that in Debian Bookworm this driver is present directly
> in-kernel (not as a module):
> didier@hp-notebook14:~$ find /lib/modules -name *alps*
> /lib/modules/6.1.0-10-amd64/kernel/drivers/hid/hid-alps.ko
> didier@hp-notebook14:~$ grep -i alps /boot/config*
> CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2_ALPS=y
> CONFIG_HID_ALPS=m
>
> Perhaps am I wrong, but with Debian Bookworm, your alps device should
> work without a DKMS module, out of the box?

You are not wrong :-)

Simply moving the module out of /var/lib/dkms/ allowed the new kernel
package to be installed properly and that is what is running now.

I do in fact have a vague memory of having to fiddle around with
something to do with the touchpad when I got the laptop, but that is
over 10 years ago ...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Loris

--
This signature is currently under constuction.