Re: NetworkManager, Iphone, and Bookworm

On Tue, 1 Aug 2023 07:18:36 +0200
didier gaumet <didier.gaumet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 01/08/2023 à 06:30, Charles Curley a écrit :
>
>  [...]
>
> I have no Apple hardware and have experimented this but you could
> *probably* use a MDM solution to do it:
> https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/intro-to-mdm-profiles-depc0aadd3fe/web
> https://support.apple.com/guide/deployment/choose-an-mdm-solution-dep1d7afa557/web

Thanks. I think I will defer this for now. It might not work. It strikes
me as an overly complicated solution to a problem that shouldn't exist.

> I suppose your Iphone 8 was set up with WPA2 while your Iphone 14 is
> set up with WPA3 (either pure, or rather, mixed)

That sounds likely. Also, my Bullseye machine (no WPA3) has no problem
connecting. This leads me to conjecture that the problem is in
negotiating WP3 vs. WP2. Just a guess, there.

> If your Bookworm is an upgrade of a previous Debian installation, it
> would be of interest to verify you have the good version of
> wpa_supplicant: didier@hp-notebook14:~$ LANG=en-US.UTF-8; apt policy
> wpasupplicant wpasupplicant:
>    Installed: 2:2.10-12
>    Candidate: 2:2.10-12
>    Version table:
>   *** 2:2.10-12 500
>          500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It is not an upgrade, it is a fresh installation. None the less:

root@tsalmoth:~# LANG=en-US.UTF-8; apt policy wpasupplicant
wpasupplicant:
  Installed: 2:2.10-12
  Candidate: 2:2.10-12
  Version table:
 *** 2:2.10-12 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@tsalmoth:~#

Compared to bullseye:

root@jhegaala:~# LANG=en-US.UTF-8; apt policy wpasupplicant
wpasupplicant:
  Installed: 2:2.9.0-21
  Candidate: 2:2.9.0-21
  Version table:
     2:2.10-8~bpo11+2 100
        100 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages
 *** 2:2.9.0-21 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
root@jhegaala:~#

> If wpasupplicant is up to date and you still are not able to connect,
> consult le Archlinux wiki, there are instructions to manage WPA3
> mixed (with WPA2) manually (wpa_cli):
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wpa_supplicant#Connections_to_pure_WPA3-SAE_access_points
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wpa_supplicant#Connections_to_mixed_WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE_access_points

I will look at these. Thank you.

<rant>Dammit, all of this wireless configuration stuff is supposed to
be automatic and painless for the end user. All the complexities should
be hidden from the end user (me). Well, they aren't.</rant>

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/