Re: something seriously wrong with my bookworm install

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 06:03:02PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> > > Not yet David. [...]
> >
> > §5.1.7 indicates syslog (rsyslog) is not installed and is replaced by
> > journald (from systemd). You still can install rsyslog and
> > configure rsyslog/journald to get what you want where you want
> >
> All the files in /var/log/journal/big hash subdir/* are digital trash,
> mostly $00
> and worthless for any human troubleshooting.  What is the big secret all
> about?

Gene, this makes me furious. Really. Either you're lazy, don't read
docs and go with the default install -- and take what you get, or
you tinker, understand a bit of what you are doing and beat the system
into the shape you need/want/like it.

Defaults are bound to change from time to time, due to available
free programs, user base, maintainer community, yadda, yadda.

C'm on, you are a technician, you should know about such tradeoffs.

So going the lazy route /and/ publically ranting isn't helpful.

I dislike the whole systemd environment myself. Know what? My init
is SysV, my logs are clear text, all of that. With Debian Bullseye.
But it ain't the default, so it takes some reading, tinkering and
asking around.

I thank Debian and the maintainers every day for making that
possible!.

There are no secrets. Just engineering.

Cheers