Re: something seriously wrong with my bookworm install

On 7/26/23 16:42, Michel Verdier wrote:
On 2023-07-26, gene heskett wrote:

So where are syslog and dmesg?
I take it you didn't bother to read §5.1.7 of the bookworm Release Notes.

Not yet David. [...]

§5.1.7 indicates syslog (rsyslog) is not installed and is replaced by
journald (from systemd). You still can install rsyslog and
configure rsyslog/journald to get what you want where you want

All the files in /var/log/journal/big hash subdir/* are digital trash, mostly $00 and worthless for any human troubleshooting. What is the big secret all about?

A link to that file you are fond of quoting from sure would be nice...

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis