Re: After upgrade 11 -> 12.1, "unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'" during early boot, console keymap remains US

Hello Michael

On 25/07/2023 16:17, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 25 Jul 2023 09:17 -0500, from deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk (David Wright):
>>> unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'
>>> /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap:27: syntax error
>>> syntax error in map file
>>> key bindings not changed
>>
>> Anyway, my MO, probably including a bit of cargo-cult, would be to
>> quit X, then run both dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and
>> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, check that both /etc/default/keyboard
>> and console-setup look sane, and then reboot.
>
> Cargo-cult or not, it seemed like a good idea; I didn't actually shut
> down X, but I did log out of my X session and did it from a text
> console, then verified that the configuration files looked reasonable
> before rebooting. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any
> appreciable difference.
>
> What's even more odd is that I spun up a VM based on 12.0 upgraded to
> current, with the following in the preseed file:
>
> d-i debian-installer/language string en
> d-i debian-installer/country string SE
> d-i debian-installer/locale string en_US.UTF-8
> d-i keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap select se
>
> That one does not display any similar error on boot, and its
> /etc/default/console-setup and /etc/default/keyboard look functionally
> identical to what's on my main system, and
> /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz (which my main system is
> clearly complaining about) has the same cksum including file size on
> both.

It looks like you are making progress.

A couple of ideas:

I used dpkg-query to check what package the file
/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap might belong to.

	freon@debian:~$ dpkg-query -S /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz
	dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz
	freon@debian:~$

If it is just a cached file, could you move it out of the way to see if
it gets recreated the same?

The other idea was, if you have a working kmap setup in your virtual machine
install, could you "suck" the keymap settings out of that machine using the
xmodmap utility, then copy them to the broken machine and inject them into
the Xserver overriding the configured keymap (using xmodmap again?).

This might work as a temporary measure, but I haven't tried it myself so
I could be talking rubbish.

Regards
Robbie Dinn