Re: After upgrade 11 -> 12.1, "unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'" during early boot, console keymap remains US

On 25 Jul 2023 09:17 -0500, from deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk (David Wright):
>> unknown keysym 'dead_abovering'
>> /etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap:27: syntax error
>> syntax error in map file
>> key bindings not changed
>
> Anyway, my MO, probably including a bit of cargo-cult, would be to
> quit X, then run both dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration and
> dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, check that both /etc/default/keyboard
> and console-setup look sane, and then reboot.

Cargo-cult or not, it seemed like a good idea; I didn't actually shut
down X, but I did log out of my X session and did it from a text
console, then verified that the configuration files looked reasonable
before rebooting. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any
appreciable difference.

What's even more odd is that I spun up a VM based on 12.0 upgraded to
current, with the following in the preseed file:

d-i debian-installer/language string en
d-i debian-installer/country string SE
d-i debian-installer/locale string en_US.UTF-8
d-i keyboard-configuration/xkb-keymap select se

That one does not display any similar error on boot, and its
/etc/default/console-setup and /etc/default/keyboard look functionally
identical to what's on my main system, and
/etc/console-setup/cached_UTF-8_del.kmap.gz (which my main system is
clearly complaining about) has the same cksum including file size on
both.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”