Re: General question regarding SSD and harddrive

On 15 Jul 2023 2:30:08 CEST, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> So I have been looking at new computers and most of them come with SSD's
> but they are so much smaller than my 2 TB computer that I am not sure
> what is better.  I read a couple of pieces on different groups but still
> am not sure.  SSD's are faster but them have a quarter of the room for
> storage.  I don't use my machine for basic stuff and am not a heavy
> gamer.  Any advice about this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Moe

What form factor? Probably all 2.5" HDDs larger than 500GB use SMR these days
(at least WD for sure). After using them for a while now (bought first one
before the SMR fuss, not knowing that), there is couple of downsides:
1) The disks are still doing something. Even when not mounted, the head is
moving. In some notebooks it can be pretty loud.
2) Random access can be painfully slow. I have system installed on SSD and
still can feel it sometimes.

--
Kryštof