Re: Unable to ssh to Debian 9 from 9 or 11

On Sun, 16 Jul 2023, Anssi Saari wrote:

Roger Price <debian@rogerprice.org> writes:
Does the style of comment give a clue to the tool used ?
Earlier you posted a list of firewall rules like this:

iptables -L -n --line-numbers reports

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
 num  target                    prot opt source     destination
  1    ufw-before-logging-input  all  --  0.0.0.0/0  0.0.0.0/0

So I would guess ufw.

That's what I thought, but there is no ufw in this Debian 9 machine. So I had to do some archaeology.

It took me a while to discover that long ago this machine ran openSuSE 12.2 and was directly attached to the internet, so it ran a modification of the openSuSE firewall. The machine was then migrated to Debian and placed behind a box supplied by the internet provider, but it kept running the openSuSE firewall.

 root@kananga ~ systemctl is-enabled SuSEfirewall2
 enabled

The years have gone by. It's still running on Debian 9!. I stopped it with

 root@kananga ~ systemctl disable SuSEfirewall2
 Removed /etc/systemd/system/SuSEfirewall2_setup.service.
 Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/SuSEfirewall2.service.
 Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/SuSEfirewall2_init.service.
 root@kananga ~ systemctl stop SuSEfirewall2

 root@kananga ~ systemctl is-enabled SuSEfirewall2
 disabled

I then recycled the machine, power off, power on, and I can now ssh into this Debian 9 machine from Debian 11 :-) , so I have a permanent solution.

My thanks to all who participated in the discussion,  Roger