Re: Migrating from hard drives to SSDs

On Tue, Jul 11, 2023 at 4:18 PM Mick Ab <recoverymail123890@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking of changing my storage from two 1TB hard drives in a software RAID 1 configuration to two M.2 Nvme 1 TB SSDs. The two SSDs would be put into a software RAID 1 configuration. Currently each hard drive contains both the operating system and user data.
>
> What steps would you recommend to achieve the above result and would those steps be the quickest way ?
>
> One of the M.2 slots can operate at PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0, while the other slot can only operate at PCIe 3.0. If they are to be in a RAID 1 array, I guess that both slots should be operated at PCIe 3.0 speed.

Are these the same machine or two different machines?

If this were me performing the task... I would add an external drive
on the old machine, boot to Clonezilla, and use Clonezilla to
backup/clone to the external drive. Then I would plug the external
drive into the new machine with the SSDs, and use Clonezilla to write
the backup from the external drive to the new machine.

Jeff