Re: why bookworm isn't called deb12?

On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 08:43:04AM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * On 2023 07 Jul 08:13 -0500, jeremy ardley wrote:
> >
> > My error:
> >
> > I should have said
> >
> > "Linux is a clone of Unix so a derivative. MS is also a derivative but not
> > much like Unix. "
>
> If you mean MS Windows NT and later, it apparently owes much to VMS and
> OS/2.  Certainly, some POSIX support was added along the way as well,
> but I don't think that other than market speak 20+ years ago, Windows
> NT+ was intended to be a Unix implementation.

Right: NT (and NTFS) was brought over from DEC by Dave Cutler (yet another
thing Microsoft didn't invent). And Cutler *hated* UNIX. So he might get
angry if someone compares NT to UNIX :-)

NT was micro-kernel-ish (actually inspired by Mach, so it shares some
ancestry with OS/X and Hurd), until Microsoft dumped all that graphic
goodnes into it.

Thr rest, is, as they say...

Cheers