Re: Transport endpoint is not connected

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote on 7/4/23 22:23:

FWIW, since upgrading to bookworm, I see:
   sh: 0: getcwd() failed: Transport endpoint is not connected
when I ssh into the upgraded box.

This seems to be coming from getcwd() (aka get current working
directory, see man page). Asking the intertubes, it seems to
happen often when it or its ancestors are mounted over FUSE.

This is a plain ol' ssh login, so I don't think that FUSE is involved.

I have no idea why. (And, just to be clear, this has never happened before,
through many releases of debian stable.)

I'm assuming, for now, that:
  1. I can use the box as usual despite the message;
  2. the problem will be fixed at some point soon.

I haven't seen any other obvious problems if I proceed to use the ssh
session as normal.

Are you able to access all the directories you expect to? How
is, e.g. the user's $HOME mounted? Its parent?

Yep... can't see any unusual behaviour at all. So far, anyway.

If I get some time, I'll try to figure out exactly where and why it's happening; but at this point, since it never happened before in 15 years of sshing into the box and there seems to be no obvious consequences other than the appearance of the message at login, I'm assuming there's nothing really wrong and it's some bug -- probably a race condition, perhaps involving systemd, since that seems to have a history of them -- introduced in bookworm that will get fixed fairly quickly.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans