Re: package managers problem

Hello,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 09:23:41AM -0400, Maurice Heskett wrote:
> On 6/21/23 08:33, Andy Smith wrote:
> > I'm sure there are other advanced editors that can do the same.
> > Maybe geany can; I'm not familiar with it.
> You are missing out on one of linux's better coding efforts Andy. I have yet
> to have it make a mistake my fingers didn't make first.

There would have to be a very compelling feature or features in
geany over vim, to tempt me to switch.

> > The basic principle being to edit a file as
> > sftp://user@host:/path so as to do the read/write as that user,
> > not yourself. (host could be localhost).
>
> That is a lot of typing, subject to typu's from ancient fat fingers, so I
> usually cd to where the file lives and edit it directly. But everybody has
> their own style, and that is mine.

There doesn't seem like a lot of difference in number of keystrokes
between:

$ cd /path/to/dir
$ sudo geany file.txt

and what I would do in vim which is:

:e /path/to/dir/file

(it will work out it needs to do sudo by itself)

You would only use the sftp:// thing for remote files or for editing
as a different non-root user. And it all tab-completes, by the way,
even remote paths, assuming you have read+search permissions.

Cheers,
Andy