Re: package managers problem

On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 02:15:19PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/20/23 14:03, zithro wrote:
> > On 20 Jun 2023 18:21, Charles Curley wrote:

> > > Nope. I have synaptic running here with xfce4 on Bullseye.
> > >
> > > synaptic    0.90.2        amd64
> > > xfce4    4.16        all
> > >

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I tried synaptic manually (on XFCE), I
> > had to use pkexec and NOT sudo.
> > It doesn't start from a root xterm either.
> > This remark is for Gene, who only uses variations of "sudo".
> >
> >    $ which synaptic-pkexec
> >    /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
> >    $ /usr/bin/synaptic-pkexec
> >
> > "synaptic-pkexec" is what's needed if not using the distro-provided
> > shortcut.
> > Here, the shortcut in XFCE under "System -> Synaptic package manager"
> > effectively launches "synaptic-pkexec".
> > synaptic-pkexec is a shell script containing:
> >    pkexec "/usr/sbin/synaptic" "$@"
> >
> > Another note, if you use pkexec directly, this won't work :
> >    $ pkexec synaptic
> > Cannot run program synaptic: No such file or directory
> >
> > But this is OK
> >    $ pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic
> >
> paste:
> gene@coyote:/usr/local/bin$ pkexec /usr/sbin/synaptic
> Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 keyUnable to init server: Could not connect:
> Connection refused
> Failed to initialize GTK.

The MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE refers to an authorization file which will be
in the home directory of the user on whose behalf X was started,
typically under the name .Xauthority. The idea is that whoever has
access to this file is allowed to talk to the X server (an early
example of a "capability" [1], if you wish).

If you are running a pure Wayland session, with no Xwayland, I won't
be able to help you -- I'll try to quit computing before I have to
touch that. But that would possibly mean that synaptic /wants/ to run
under X (or some emulation thereof).

If it does run as a "normal" user, see whether you find this .Xauthority
file in your /home and copy it over to /root: may be that helps, may be
not (chmod/chown to taste: root has to be able to read it).

Cheers