Re: 60-serial.rules, broken

Hello,

gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> writes:

>> That's Debian#1035094 [1]. A fix was uploaded three weeks ago and is
>> available in bullseye-proposed-updates [2] but not the regular Bullseye
>> repository. If I understand the status page [3] correctly it's only
>> scheduled for the next point release. Given that there already was a
>> point release recently (11.7 on 2023-05-01) it will probably another
>> couple of months until this bug gets fixed in bullseye. :-/
[...]
> That is most unfortunate for 3d printer users, our support group on
> discord is blowing up with the problems this is cause for klipper users,
> can its priority be raised?  We use it because that gives us a
> bulletproof method using the devices ChipID, which is totally unique,
> like MAC addresses.

Tell me about it. As an embedded developer this bug is a huge PITA. I'm
surprised the fix for this regression hasn't already landed in
stable. But then I don't know what else changed and what the risks are
for other bugs to show up and potentially affect even more users. After
all systemd is a rather central component of most Debian systems.

You may want to try asking on the bug report (#1035094 [1]) about
it. I'm not a Debian Developer myself and don't have much experience
trying to get a fix landed in stable but I expect there is a way for the
maintainers of the package to request an exception and get the fix in
the repository before the next point release.

As a first step however we should try out the version from
bullseye-proposed-updates to make sure it's safe to use. I've already
installed it on one of my hosts (where it fixed the bug) and will
monitor it for regressions; would be great if others did the same.

Sascha

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1035094