Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

wait wait. for sure the option should be enabled on the bios,but bhyve works in a different way than kvm,so it works even if my cpu does not have all the virt. parameters respected. Infact kvm does not work on that cpu. But how many cpus there are like mine ? Does Linux feel to cover the gap of an alternative to qemu and kvm ? not sure about xen as an alternative.

Il ven 2 giu 2023, 11:12 Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> ha scritto:
Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Victor,

Hi Andy!

[dd]
> > Now I see that a supported minimal headless configuration probably
> > does not exist at all.
>
> I don't think that is correct at all, depending on what you mean by
> "supported". You absolutely will find a guide out there to do what
> you want, with relative ease I should think.

Yes, I guess the https://wiki.debian.org/KVM seems a good guide and
even covers the case of a minimal :-) installation.

[dd]

> I would say that documentation from Ubuntu is likely to be more
> "enterprisey". The other thing is, if you're coming from a BSD
> background (you mentioned Bhyve) you probably are a lot more used to
> there being one way of doing things and that way being thoroughly
> documented.

That's correct. Though I must admit the FreeBSD Handbook can be
outdated in places as the project is clearly lacking resources. It is
still a very good source of knowledge.

> Whereas on Linux there tends to be multiple ways and
> even the same one can be slightly different on different Linux
> distributions.

Some Debian documentation is very good too.

> I am using Xen more at the moment, but I generally wouldn't
> recommend that to newcomers. I tend to recommend KVM just because
> there's so many guides for it out there.

I'm currently going to migrate some FreeBSD VMs from bhyve to a linux
host. I hope KVM will have no problem with their raw disk images.

[dd]

> I would probably just install qemu-kvm and accept the bloat of a lot
> of packages that I would never use, use virsh to manage the VMs from
> command line, and perhaps over time worm out which packages can be
> safely removed.

OK, thank you, maybe I'll go this route.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/