Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Victor,

Hi Andy!

[dd]
> > Now I see that a supported minimal headless configuration probably
> > does not exist at all.
>
> I don't think that is correct at all, depending on what you mean by
> "supported". You absolutely will find a guide out there to do what
> you want, with relative ease I should think.

Yes, I guess the https://wiki.debian.org/KVM seems a good guide and
even covers the case of a minimal :-) installation.

[dd]

> I would say that documentation from Ubuntu is likely to be more
> "enterprisey". The other thing is, if you're coming from a BSD
> background (you mentioned Bhyve) you probably are a lot more used to
> there being one way of doing things and that way being thoroughly
> documented.

That's correct. Though I must admit the FreeBSD Handbook can be
outdated in places as the project is clearly lacking resources. It is
still a very good source of knowledge.

> Whereas on Linux there tends to be multiple ways and
> even the same one can be slightly different on different Linux
> distributions.

Some Debian documentation is very good too.

> I am using Xen more at the moment, but I generally wouldn't
> recommend that to newcomers. I tend to recommend KVM just because
> there's so many guides for it out there.

I'm currently going to migrate some FreeBSD VMs from bhyve to a linux
host. I hope KVM will have no problem with their raw disk images.

[dd]

> I would probably just install qemu-kvm and accept the bloat of a lot
> of packages that I would never use, use virsh to manage the VMs from
> command line, and perhaps over time worm out which packages can be
> safely removed.

OK, thank you, maybe I'll go this route.

--
Victor Sudakov VAS4-RIPE
http://vas.tomsk.ru/