Re: A hypervisor for a headless server?

Hi Victor,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2023 at 07:38:15AM +0000, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Stanislav Vlasov wrote:
> > пт, 2 июн. 2023 г. в 12:18, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>:
> >
> > > Running "apt install qemu-kvm" on a Debian 11 AWS EC2 instance which has
> > > never had any X-Window or desktop environment in its entire life,
> > > tries to install qemu-system-gui, adwaita-icon-theme, libgtk-3-common
> > > and a lot of similar stuff.
> >
> > Even with `--no-install-recommends`?
> > qemu-system-x86 package _recommends_ qemu-system-gui, but you may
> > install without.
>
> But Andy Smith wrote recently that "installing without recommends is not a supported use
> case" and I believe him.

I should be clear that when I said, "installing without recommends
is not a supported use case" I was speaking more generally about
packages on Debian, not specifically about the state of KVM on
Debian.

The thing about recommends is that they're maintainer's opinion
about what other software is likely to be needed for broad and
general use of the package. If you are in the habit of not
installing them, occasionally you can find that some feature doesn't
work properly, and it might or might not be obvious why that is. It
can call for some familiarity with the packages involved. What is
considered obvious can vary between maintainer and user.

So again, I do not like to straight off recommend to people that
they go for --no-install-recommends especially when it's for
software that is new to them.

Thanks,
Andy