Re: Need some advice please.

On 5/4/23 16:03, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
Ok so I cannot download any files to fix my /var section.  I have a 2 TB seagate that has a USB 3 cord to it.  I do not have an open USB port so I plugged it in to my USB hub thingy and it got shut down.

So, the USB HDD does not have a power adapter; it is powered by USB (?).

It is no longer usable.

The USB HDD or the USB hub?

Have you tried turning everything off, re-patching the USB as it was before the failure, and then powering up everyting?

So the question is I have a HDMI spot open on the computer and if I find a USB adapter to HDMI and plug it in will that work.

I looked and there are many different kinds and most are about monitors.  I don't want to blow up my seagate or my computer but am at a loss as to which way to go.

AIUI HDMI sends audio/ video signals only, and does not include a USB data channel.

I plan on using the sea gate to back up my home partition and then install 11.6 on the computer and use the seagate as a back up.

Any ideas would be of great help.

I would connect the USB HDD directly to the computer.

David