Re: processing /etc/sysctl.d

On 5/4/23, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, May 04, 2023 at 08:43:52AM +0200, Michel Verdier wrote:
>> Yes setting parameter on interface is better done in
>> /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>> which is used when the interface is configured
>
> There's definitely race conditions between creation of interface and
> setting of sysctls at boot, so I agree - I don't think I would use sysctl.d
> for any of those interface settings except default/all.
>
> I also don't know if an interface goes away and comes back again (
> think ppp, dummy, VPNs, etc) if it gets the same sysctl settings as
> you set last time or if it just gets the "default" ones all over
> again. I suspect the latter.

enp1s0 does _not_ get the default settings -- I spent way too much
time figuring out how to get ipv6 working on this machine and now,
after upgrading to 11.7, it's broken :(

> So yeah, multiple reasons to not try setting per-interface sysctls
> in sysctl.d.

OK.. I'll try to figure out how to modify whatever in /etc/NetworkManager

<rant>
  Why isn't that caveat mentioned in the man pages?  It seems like a
rather serious deficiency in sysctl.d
</rant>

Thanks
Lee