Looking for inspiration/advice/best practices on system upgrade

Am 24.04.2023 um 23:04 schrieb Timothy M Butterworth:
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/update-upgrade-debian-10-to-debian-11-bullseye/ ;
>
>     Usually this is the safest way. But why don't you upgrade sooner to
>     bullseye ? Do you have some problematic packages ?

thank you for the link suggested. I will use that (almost like a
playbook) to see, what is going to be ahead ...

I have been upholding the upgrade for several reasons, some of which are
not coming from the problem field. But i just checked: the packages i am
actively holding back consist of:

- ZFS
- virtualbox
- firefox
- thunderbird

Obviously, upgrading any of those would stop my current workflow from
being functional. That let me stick with the saying, to "Never change a
running system." ;-)

As i see it, there are plenty of things to do now, beginning with
another attempt at straightening out the file permission issue, followed
by attempting the upgrade in a vm first.

Thanks again for the linked article, which will come in handily.
Cheers, DdB