Re: Apt sources.list

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 09:20:22PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

[...]

> > Corporations don't need browser cooperation for Data Loss Prevention
> > (DLP) (but they already have it). Corporations just run an
> > interception proxy, like NetSkope. The NetScope Root CA is loaded into
> > every browser trust store. The application will terminate all traffic,
> > inspect it, and forward the request if it looks innocuous.
>
> To be clear... The NetSkope Root CA is loaded into browsers for
> computers owned by the corporation. I.e., part of the corporation's
> standard image.

Heh. You made me search for it in my browser's root CA store ;-)

Anyway, your points are all valid. I do recommend to have a look
at the browser's default root CA store before saying "you're safe
with TLS". This is just marketing. TLS is but one tool.

Don't get me wrong: I think widespread use of TLS is a Good Thing.
But going about it as if it was Redemption is paternalistic to the
point of being counterproductive.

Security is a process, not a product, as Schneier says.

Cheers