update-initramfs

I'm on Buster.

In /boot I keep a copy of the current working linux named by appending -knowngood to the four files. My idea is that if an update fails, I have a recent working linux. This is different from vmlinuz.old which is the previous kernel version. The updates in question are not to the kernel but to initrd.image of course.

Suddenly, update-initramfs insists in trying to first update
initrd.....-knowngood which of course fails because there are no underling file with that name. This never happened in the past, AFAIK. Once it fails it gives up.

There seems no way to force update-initramfs to update the right kernel.

Ideas?