Re: package libxnvctrl0 installed by xfce, but nouveau is installed

On 04 Apr 2023 16:56, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 9:18 AM zithro <slack@rabbit.lu> wrote:
I have a bug with the nouveau driver shown in dmesg, so I looked up for
solutions.
On freedesktop.org, they say to remove everything concerning nvidia
first, and only installing/using "nouveau" packages.
On my system, I found the package "libxnvctrl0" (by nvidia) which was
installed by xfce.
If I try to remove "libxnvctrl0", it wants to remove "xfce4-goodies" and
"xfce4-sensors-plugin".
Then, many packages are marked as "autoremove" (xfce-*, ristretto, ...).
Is that normal that xfce packages rely on an official nvidia library,
even when using nouveau ?

What should I do ?

Thanks, have a nice day !

PS:
I'm using an up-to-date Debian stable (uname: Linux debian
5.10.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.162-1 (2023-01-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux).

Output of "apt purge libxnvctrl0 --dry-run" :

required:
    libqrencode4 ristretto xfce4-battery-plugin xfce4-clipman
xfce4-clipman-plugin xfce4-cpufreq-plugin xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
    xfce4-datetime-plugin xfce4-dict xfce4-diskperf-plugin
xfce4-fsguard-plugin xfce4-genmon-plugin xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
    xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-places-plugin xfce4-screenshooter
xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin
    xfce4-taskmanager xfce4-timer-plugin xfce4-verve-plugin
xfce4-wavelan-plugin xfce4-weather-plugin
    xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin xfce4-xkb-plugin
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
    libxnvctrl0* xfce4-goodies* xfce4-sensors-plugin*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Purg xfce4-goodies [4.14.0]
Purg xfce4-sensors-plugin [1.3.0-3]
Purg libxnvctrl0 [470.141.03-1~deb11u1]
I think you can take one of two actions.

First, if you have not removed the recommended packages that are no
longer needed, then use apt-mark to change them from auto to manual.
Something like:

     apt-mark manual xfce4-goodies xfce4-sensors-plugin libxnvctrl0

Second, if you have removed them, then manually install them. Apt
should leave them alone after that. Something like:

     apt-get install xfce4-goodies xfce4-sensors-plugin libxnvctrl0

Thank you for your quick answer !
Unfortunately, "libxnvctrl0" is a dependency for "xfce4-sensors-plugin" :

apt show xfce4-sensors-plugin
Depends: libxnvctrl0

So marking the packages provides the exact same output as above.

Should I report a bug in the "xfce4-sensors-plugin" package ?