Computer anthropology and language wars [was: Is perl still the No.1 language for sysadmin?]

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 12:36:51PM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 4:59 AM <coreyh@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > I saw many commands in /bin and /usr/bin are written by perl.
> > is perl still the first choice for sysadmin on linux?
>
> I am surprised this thread has not started a mini-flame war.

Luckily those things are calming down a little bit (but beware.
If you come across a younger language *cough* Rust *cough*, you
still might be into some fun).

> About the best you can say is, Perl is one of the more popular
> scripting languages. Trying to pin down the "best" will fail because
> it is opinion based.

And depends on the task. And on the writer. And on the team. And
more.

> Next, you might ask which is the best editor to use on Unix & Linux.
> That should really stir the pot :) Emacs for the win!

Emacs +1 :-)

Although I'm writing this with vim :-) :-)

I always find those things very interesting: people fight for
their tools as if there should be only one. By now (I'm pretty
old, my first language was FORTRAN (yes, all capitals), then
came Simula-67), I'm convinced that brains tend to be "wired"
in different ways, so that people will feel tendencies towards
different types of languages.

Then, there are typical languages for big teams [1] (Java is
one), which impose stricter structures. And those more for
the creative folks, which make it so easy to "roll your own"
that everyone ends up rolling (Lisps, I'm looking at you).

My hunch for this horrible urge to have just One Language
to Rule Them All is that it must be a very unhealty heritage
of our monotheistic ways. As far as computer languages are
concerned, I cherish this incredibly colourful and diverse
world we have (I still have my likes and dislikes, mind
you).

Recommended reading (out of print, alas) "David Gelernter,
Suresh Jagannathan: Programming Linguistics".

Cheers

[1] There's this wonderful quote by (again) Alan Perlis,
  out of the foreword to SICP [2]:
  "Pascal is for building pyramids -- imposing, breathtaking,
   static structures built by armies pushing heavy blocks
   into place. Lisp is for building organisms -- imposing,
   breathtaking, dynamic structures built by squads fitting
   fluctuating myriads of simpler organisms into place."

  What he writes about Pascal back then is the more true
  for Java.

[2] https://mitp-content-server.mit.edu/books/content/sectbyfn/books_pres_0/6515/sicp.zip/full-text/book/book-Z-H-5.html#%_chap_Temp_2