Re: home server for email box

On Sun, Mar 12, 2023 at 9:05 PM Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:

> On 13/3/23 06:39, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> >> Each of those options has  been chosen by the mail list administrator.
> >>
> >> As a general principal it's a good thing to know the system sending you mail
> >> is genuine. Given the variety, there is no point in rejecting the email if
> >> there is no certificate, but having a verified certificate could be used to
> >> streamline any anti-spam processes such as not greylisting. I don't know if
> >> postfix can do that yet, but it seems it would be a good thing.
> > I think that DNS attacks are rather rare. Though strong authentication
> > is useful for various kinds of application, it is much less important
> > for antispam (I doubt that spammers do DNS attacks to let their spam
> > through).
> >
> I'm not assuming DNS attacks rather I was wondering if a valid
> certificate could give better 'customer service' i.e. quicker delivery
> of mail.
>
> Brief investigation suggests time consuming stuff happens before the
> certificate exchange - which in itself is expensive.
>
> However later processes could be expedited or improved with a valid
> certificate e.g. reducing content inspection or dropping some connection
> checks on emails from DNS names specified in the certificate

Email is store-and-forward. Ultimately, it is up to the recipient to
visit his/her/it mail server and download messages.

Security on a channel (like HTTPS) usually makes it tougher to inspect
traffic. Or at least it makes it tougher in HTTPS. In fact, spam
filters are mostly useless for messages encrypted with a tool like GPG
or GnuPG.

Jeff