Re: what method do you prefer for data transfer between nodes?

On Sun, Mar 05, 2023 at 04:22:25PM +0800, Ken Young wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The methods I know,
>
> 1. scp
> pros: the native tool in the OS
> cons: you will either input password or put key pairs into servers for
> authentication.

Sometimes. From the command line, and if I only have to transfer a
hadnful of files, this one is the most convenient.

> 2. rsync
> pros: it can transfer data by increasement
> cons: you need to setup rsyncd server and make the correct authorization.

This. Hands down.

Pros:
Your list of pros is just too short. A corollary
of your first pro is that you can interrupt the proces at any time
and it'll pick up more or less where it left. Plus you can ask it
what it would do (--dry-run). Plus you you can tell it to make
back-up files at the other end, and to delete non-existing files.
Yadda, yadda.

Cons:
 - you need to setup rsyncd server
   Wrong: you just need one "transport", SSH is fine.
   If you can access the other box via SSH, you're set.

 - and make the correct authorization.
   I don't know what you mean with that: I'd hope any
   method to put files on a box would need proper
   authentificationn/authorization.

The others I'd only use when forced to. Well, rclone, I think,
I'd even refuse when forced to. Eek.

Cheers