Re: ssh bug known_hosts?

On Wed, Mar 1, 2023 at 8:53 PM Jeremy Ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:
> [...]
> However I've found the cause of the problem, but not necessarily
> resolved the bug.
>
> For some reason on my journey /etc/ssh/ssh_config had acquired
>
>     UserKnownHostsFile /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts
>
> changing to
>
> #   UserKnownHostsFile /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts

That should probably be GlobalKnownHostsFile, not UserKnownHostsFile.
>From the the ssh_config(5) man page at
https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/openssh-client/ssh_config.5.en.html
:

GlobalKnownHostsFile

    Specifies one or more files to use for the global
    host key database, separated by whitespace.
    The default is /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts,
    /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts2.

But not setting GlobalKnownHostsFile gets you the default, which
appears to be the same as you specified in your config file.

Jeff