Re: ssh bug known_hosts?

On 2/3/23 05:51, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 02:43:38PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, 2 Mar 2023 03:48:49 +0800
jeremy ardley <jeremy@ardley.org> wrote:

2. The known hosts file used is /etc/ssh/known_hosts rather that
~/.ssh/known_hosts - which causes a permissions error
I am not seeing that, for either root or my regular non-root user.

You indicated you created your ~/.ssh/config as shown in your email. I
would check the configuration files in /etc/ssh.
It would be worth checking the permissions and ownerships.

unicorn:~$ namei -l ~/.ssh/config
f: /home/greg/.ssh/config
drwxr-xr-x root root /
drwxr-xr-x root root home
drwxr-xr-x greg greg greg
drwxr-xr-x greg greg .ssh
-rw-r--r-- greg greg config

My ~/.ssh files are for the most part even more restrictive

-rw------- 1 jeremy jeremy  446 Mar  2 08:51 config
-rw------- 1 jeremy jeremy 2602 Dec 11 11:47 id_rsa
-rw-r--r-- 1 jeremy jeremy  567 Dec 11 11:47 id_rsa.pub

However I've found the cause of the problem, but not necessarily resolved the bug.

For some reason on my journey /etc/ssh/ssh_config had acquired

   UserKnownHostsFile /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts

changing to

#   UserKnownHostsFile /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts

stops this behaviour.

--
Jeremy
(Lists)