Who pays Debian developement

Hello everyone,
I ran into argument with my father about who pays Debian developement. He says everyone want to eat something and since only donation won't cut it, corporations and companies which use Debian need to fund the developement. I understand that some task like kernel maintanace are full-time job and someone needs to pay those people, but I always thaught that since Debian is community software project, most of the work comes from volunteers and enthusiasts. So my qustion is - how does it actually work? Thank you for your answers.

Best regards,
KS